What sort of Web do you Want?
What is OurNet?
OurNet is a social network designed for community development - where you could meet local people, like-minded people and enhance local life and democracy.
In these times of further social fragmentation, social exclusion and polarisation, there is also concern about the Internet giants dominating and intruding.
OurNet's vision is to create a world that works for all
A former Facebook executive, Chamath Palihapitiya - ex Vice-President of User Growth, expressed regret for his part in building tools that destroy ‘the social fabric of how society works’.
Whilst offering some really great tools for communication, the existing social media offerings can bring out the worst, most competitive aspects of human nature. OurNet is designed to enhance the social aspects that we all need and crave. We have developed the concept of Social Intelligence to encourage people to use the social skills they have developed in normal life in the context of internet communication.
We're about to launch OurNet as a fully functioning site which aims to:
To create a truly community-focused social media platform.
OurNet empowers vibrant communities online, and transforms communication in the real world.
A world that works, for all.
- Every decision about the organisation, software or any other aspect of OurNet's development will explicitly address the question "How will this proposal enhance the maintenance or development of the communities that use the software?"
- Ournet will live its democratic values in the way it relates to its employees.
- It will use its own breakthrough social intelligence web technology to organise and facilitate organisational cohesion and direction.
- Striking a creative balance between leadership and collaboration, OurNet’s team will be vision-driven, working beyond traditional models of work, jobs and remuneration.
- Ultimately distributed globally as a multidisciplinary team, great emphasis will be placed on a nourishing organisational culture with a supportive team spirit.
- Great results from open hearts and minds are anticipated, in an open-space environment that regularly checks in with personal and organisational integrity
- Income of all employees will be constrained by a formula which relates to the poverty threshold in every country in which Ournet has a presence. There will also be a maximum differential between the lowest and highest paid employees in the whole organisation.
- A bonus structure will be in place to reward staff/partners for contributing to the success of the business.
- We encourage people to choose Love over Fear.
Meet our team