The Problem OurNet is here to solve
The World is getting smaller and smaller, and its problems bigger and bigger.
Many feel no influence over global events and even in their localities where they do have potential influence, they have little information and few opportunities for connection.
They are over-exposed to globally controlled media and feel disempowered, anxious, angry or helpless.
There is a growing culture of mistrust and disrespect for organisations, governments, media and each other.
If this continues the result will be social breakdown, more polarisation, extremism and conflict.
Our systems obviously don't work for our benefit, and we need to change them.
OurNet is our contribution to the change.
A former Facebook executive, Chamath Palihapitiya - ex Vice-President of User Growth, expressed regret for his part in building tools that destroy ‘the social fabric of how society works’.
is a Community Media platform which facilitates connection, communication and collaboration to create resilient, empowered communities
It is a Virtual Village Magazine, bringing people's attention to the area of life over which they can have the greatest influence - their locality.
You can see all the local news, get involved in a chat, or have someone answer your questions. An events section lets you know what's going on in your area of interest. There will be a marketplace to buy, sell or swap local services or products - all in one easy to use, personalised online magazine.
Check out Events locally -
filtered by your interests
Chat or ask questions -
from people you don't know yet!
Join or set up specialist communities -
private or public
To create a truly community-focused social media platform.
OurNet empowers vibrant communities online, and transforms communication in the real world.
A world that works, for all.
3 Key Principles
- Every decision about the organisation, software or any other aspect of OurNet's development will explicitly address the question "How will this proposal enhance the maintenance or development of the communities that use the software?"
- OurNet will live its democratic values in the way it relates to its employees.
- It will use its own breakthrough social intelligence web technology to organise and facilitate organisational cohesion and direction.
- Striking a creative balance between leadership and collaboration, OurNet’s team will be vision-driven, working beyond traditional models of work, jobs and remuneration.
- Ultimately distributed globally as a multidisciplinary team, great emphasis will be placed on a nourishing organisational culture with a supportive team spirit.
- Great results from open hearts and minds are anticipated, in an open-space environment that regularly checks in with personal and organisational integrity
- Income of all employees will be constrained by a formula which relates to the poverty threshold in every country in which Ournet has a presence. There will also be a maximum differential between the lowest and highest paid employees in the whole organisation.
- A bonus structure will be in place to reward staff/partners for contributing to the success of the business.
- We encourage people to choose Love over Fear.